Tuesday 16 June 2015

Tuesday, 16 June

Well, I did a little bit of reading through the Fast-track book today, but for the most part it was a family day - my daughter and husband were both home from school/work for an important family medical appointment. The words I noted for Aussie pronunciation today: missile, diesel, capsule, nougat, stirrup, syrup, ampere, financier, virile, and all of the 'or' words that we pronounce as 'aw' (e.g. abhor, adore, albacore, ashore, chore...). The 'or' section will take me a while to get through - there are some instances where the 'r' does get voiced by us Aussies (boring, oral, caloric...). I suspect it has to do with the sound that follows (hence 'bore', 'bores', and 'bored' have no 'r' sound, but 'boring' does), but I need to sit down and work it out for sure. I am grateful for the complete Macquarie app on my iPhone that lets me do wildcard searches on the dictionary :-).

Until tomorrow,
Ros 

No comments:

Post a Comment